Nothing tickles the competitive belly of a salesperson as much as sales contests. The rivalry and banter creates a buzz around the workplace that brings a rapid boost in sales.
However, as per Dan Pink’s analysis, there are some rather surprising truths about what actually motivates us. It transpires that financial rewards don’t bring the level of motivation that you might think. Oftentimes the simplest of rewards have the biggest impact.
So, here are 20 low cost sales incentive prize ideas that we know really work. How do we know? Well, because we have used all of them ourselves!
1. Monday morning office massage from a mobile masseuse:
Get the week off to a good start by providing your winner with a massage. It’s sure to get them in the right frame of mind for the challenges that lie ahead!
2. Boss buys and has winner’s lunch (or breakfast) delivered for a week:
Anything that involves bringing the sales leadership down a peg or two is always great fun and highly motivational. A task as visible to the whole office as the boss delivering lunch (or breakfast) is sure to motivate.
3. Boss cleans winner’s car:
This can be turned into a good team bonding event as well, it also works best as a summer competition prize. If you combine it with a barbecue and picnic it can be a fun way to bring the team together.
4. Extra time off for a personal development pursuit:
With a nod to maintaining a healthy work-life balance, this prize promotes the sense that it is good to have non-work-related hobbies. After all, they do say that all work and no play…
5. Enrol in a training course of winner’s choice:
Sales folks love to win, it’s in their DNA. There is a nice circular nature to this incentive. If you provide them with a prize that is focused on their personal sales development, one that increases their chances of closing more deals – then they will bust a gut to win it! Win a prize that helps you win more…
6. Additional hours allocated for foundation (not-for-profit / charity) activity:
7. The opportunity to switch desks with anyone in the office for a day:
Come on, we all have experienced desk-envy! The desk by the window or the one in the quiet corner where it’s easier to make calls. Combine this prize with a ‘winners’ chair for the greatest effect.
8. Prominent parking spot allocated for a month:
This is one of our favourites. Every office has a prominent parking spot. The one that is close to the entrance and that everyone has to walk past. Reserve this spot with a visible ‘For Winners Only’ sign for a real feel good factor.
9. Mentoring time spent with sales leader (or top sales performer):
10. Dedicated office for a week:
11. Boss buys and delivers weekly grocery shop:
12. Lunch with the company CEO or chairman:
13. Engraved plaque mounted on a winner’s wall of fame:
14. Name a room after the winner for a month:
15. Pick and mix – lucky dip:
16. Cinema tickets to be used during the working day:
17. Have senior company leader present an engraved award at company meeting:
18. Signed greeting card with lottery tickets inside:
19. Send a gift (or party) hamper to the winner’s home:
20. Winner gets to hand a task they loathe to their boss to complete:
Need more food for thought?